Thursday 27 March 2008

Week 1 - Drinks Round - Nautical Films

1. A 1972 Disaster Movie
“I said I was gonna get everybody out of here and goddamit I'm gonna do it!”

2. This 1979 book inspired movie follows Captain Willard on his mission up a river in Cambodia
“The horror... the horror…”

3. In 1981 this German language film was nominated for six Oscars - perhaps because it was subtitled
“Und wir fühlen: dies war das Maß.” (“And we felt: This was the measure.”)

4. Clint Eastwood directed a 2003 Crime Drama that starred Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, Kevin Bacon and Laurence Fishburne. It also won two Oscars so you’d think you would be able to remember it.
“I'm walking to my car, and this guy comes up to me. Asks for a light. I say I don't smoke. He says neither does he. So then my heart starts clocking a buck fifty, 'cause there's no one else here except me and him.”

5. A 1951 adaptation of a C S Forester novel.
“By the authority vested in me by Kaiser William II, I pronounce you man and wife - proceed with the execution.”

6. This 1954 film drama won eight Oscars.
“You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody.”

7. ‘Are You In Or Out?’ was the tagline for this 2001 film.
“Off the top of my head, I'd say you're looking at a Boeski, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethros and a Leon Spinks, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever.”

8. This exotic thriller from 2000 starred Leonardo DiCaprio and had the tagline: ‘Paradise has its price.’
“Trust me, it's paradise. This is where the hungry come to feed. For mine is a generation that circles the globe and searches for something we haven't tried before. So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it.”

9. A 1975 horror that produced a slew of sequels
“You're gonna need a bigger boat.”

10. A cargo of bread-fruit caused so much strife in this 1962 adventure.
“I'm not leaving you Mr Christian, not ever. Go to the dirtiest little corner of the world I'll be there, right behind you, with a rope in my hand.”

11. A 1997 film that recalls the events of 14 April.
“Tell us of the accommodations in steerage, Mr. Dawson. I hear they are quite good on this ship.”

12. There’s some bad weather in this tense drama from 2000
“The fog's just lifting. Throw off your bow line; throw off your stern. You head out to South channel, past Rocky Neck, Ten Pound Island. Past Niles Pond where I skated as a kid. Blow your air-horn and throw a wave to the lighthouse keeper's kid on Thatcher Island. Then the birds show up: black backs, herring gulls, big dump ducks. The sun hits ya - head North. Open up to 12 - steamin' now. The guys are busy; you're in charge. Ya know what? You're a goddam swordboat captain! Is there any thing better in the world?”

1 comments:

snorrisson said...

1. The Poseidon Adventure (Gene Hackman)
2. Apocalypse Now (Marlon Brando, Martin Sheen) (bonus: Joseph Conrad's Heart Of Darkness)
3. Das Boot
4. Mystic River
5. The African Queen (Humphrey Bogart & Katharine Hepburn)
6. On the Waterfront (Terry Malloy - Marlon Brando)
7. Ocean's Eleven (George Clooney, Brad Pitt)
8. The Beach
9. Jaws
10. Mutiny on the Bounty (Marlon Brando & Trevor Howard)
11. Titanic
12. The Perfect Storm (George Clooney & Mark Wahlberg)